Some states require the performance of Baseline Groundwater Studies. This is the testing of water wells near a proposed oil or gas exploration site to assess existing groundwater quality prior to the initiation of hydrofracuting operations. Texas does not…Yet.
Hydrofracturing in Texas (Statistics)
- 1 million wells drilled in Texas
- 70 million barrels of oil
- 13% increase oil natural gas reserves due to US shale gas
- 3 – 6 million gallons of water used per well
- Oil shales over one mile deep
- Hydrofacturing first used in Texas – George Mitchell 1986 (first developed in the 1950’s)
- Developed fractures extend towards the surface 800 feet to 1900 feet in length
Public Perception Of Fracking
Public perception of fracking is not positive to say the least. People worry about leaky well casings, or how fractures could impact an aquifer or personal well. People worry about compounds hazardous to the environment and their water supply. People worry about water from their well tasting bad from nearby oil exploration activities.
With so much risk to the bottom line, oilfield workers and surrounding communities, can you afford not to stay informed?
We can help companies be proactive in the safety of local environments and workers through the management of:
- Water Management
- Surface spills and response
- Stray Gas Assessment
- Worker Health and Safety
- Baseline Groundwater Testing
- Air Pollution
How We Assist This Process
Terrain Solutions Inc. (TSI) can reduce or eliminate unsubstantiated claims of groundwater contamination from oil/gas exploration activities through the performance of a Baseline Groundwater Study composed of:
- Collection of groundwater samples from selected water wells and water bodies
- Selective chemical analysis for methane, ethane, arsenic, TDS, NORM, organic chemicals, pH, cations/anions, petroleum hydrocarbon.
- Diagnostic chemical analysis if chemicals are confirmed to help identify sources: Isotopic analysis (C12/C13/C14 and H1 and H2), neutron, iron manganese, VOC’s and SVOC’s.
- Tests for specific Hydro-fracturing fluid components.
- Reports with findings and analytical results.
TSI has over ten years experience in performing oilfield assessments. We are trusted by the City of Houston, oil companies, and pipeline companies. TSI pride’s itself on being both reasonable and professional, providing clients with a true value for their investment.